Thursday, July 24, 2014

Dinner in the Garden

The ambiance of enjoying a wonderful dinner outside, in the garden-- surrounded by all things relating to farm life -- at what is probably the worlds most beautiful and longest table -- is truly hard to describe~


Last fall, the Gardener and I attended our third 
farm dinner~
 
to spend the evening on a beautiful farm,
eat a fabulous dinner at this amazing table -- 
in the middle of the field,
~
the food, the wine, the scenery, the table~
the whole experience is truly
a memorable feast for your
 senses 

~
once you have attended one of these
incredible dinners -- you get it!
You totally understand why the tickets to these events
often sell out in a matter of minutes!!
~
admittedly-
I am an "Outstanding in the Field"
groupie~

 the dinner we attended last fall, was hosted by
in North Bend, Ohio
~
this beautiful farm was once the home
to our 9th President,
William Henry Harrison
 before we take off across the field
to this beautiful table--
let's take a little tour of this lovely
historical farm~
 the farmhouse

I'm loving those ancient concrete columns
by the gate~
(and yes, I love that handsome guy too!)
 the folks here opened up their farm to us 
and we walked all around the beautiful property.
I took so many photos, it was hard to choose
just a few~
 
 there's just something about an old gate
that makes you want to take
 a picture~
(actually a lot of pictures!)
the BUS!!
~
Part of the excitement
 of attending these dinners 
is the opportunity
to be able to see their vintage
 1953 Flxible tour bus. 
(I climbed the hill behind the farm to get this photo) 

 (they even let us take a peek inside!)
How would you like to spend an entire year
living on this bus, traveling all over
the United States  -- 
from one farm dinner to the next~
(the wonderful folks who sponsor these events
call this bus their home!)
fall was is in the air~
a beautiful setting for the table,
right next to the grape vines~
(nope -- we aren't going there yet --
going to walk around a bit more~)
that's my chair :)
If only this tree could talk --
I'm betting it has seen a lot of history~

are you thirsty?
they're serving drinks and refreshments
on the front lawn~

honey anyone?
~
each farm dinner's focus is on
produce and meats that are produced
by local area farms and gardens.
Local chefs prepare the meals
on site.
(we will go visit them in a minute!)
 across the road from the farm house
is the beautiful stable 
and grounds~

I made a new friend outside the stable

loving this old barn house

~ and the stable house
 bring your own plate
and drop it off
 here~ 

such a pretty mix of vintage colors
and designs
forgot to bring a plate??
no worries--
you can borrow one from here! 

Let's go see what's cooking for dinner!



(are you hungry yet?)

the aromas were incredible~

seriously --
 just looking at these 
photos again is making me hungry!
there's the table --
let's go have a closer look~
there is no assigned seating-
all the food is served family style,
so you can sit wherever 
you want~ 

it was the most perfect autumn day
for this outdoor farm dinner~

love, LOVE this beautiful table~
the sun is just starting to set-
so that means
it's almost dinner time! 
(let's go find a seat at the table~)

the menu

the Gardener smiles after a wonderful dinner:)
~
 that's OITF founder Jim Denevan  (in the cowboy hat)
talking to guests

after dinner,
the whole crew pose for photos in front of the bus
~
these have to be some of the nicest, 
most hard working people
ever.

with dinner now a memory~
we all walk around a bit more
trying to take in every last beautiful moment
of this amazing experience.
isn't this what "groupie's" do?
He's a super nice guy~
 as the darkness overtakes us all-
it's time to go home~
~
(I really had intended to post these photos last fall
but somehow time just got away from me.
I'm pretty sure it had something to do
with all those beautiful pink scarves! )
xoxo
Seedling Farm
South Haven, Michigan
(photo borrowed from OITF website)

in just a few weeks, 
my friend Marsha and I
 are taking a little "Girl Trip" to here.
~
We will travel almost 500 miles
to beautiful coastal Michigan
just to sit at this 
extraordinary
table.
~
You can look forward to photos from
our incredible trip and the farm dinner
later this fall~
(I think we might win the prize for most distance traveled! LOL!) 
xoxo
Vicki
ps -- I've been working all summer on some incredible new designs -- one of those is coming up next!

43 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

That looks like SO much fun! I've been wanting to go to something like that for a while. Actually, I dream of owning a home with a great big barn and having a dinner down the center. That would be pretty cool too! I'll have to see if I can find any dinners like this near where I live. Have fun at the next one! I look forward to photos. :-)

Lorraine said...

Hi Vicki! I first read about Outstanding in the Field on one of your blog posts at least a year ago and was thrilled to see this entry when I visited today. I had not heard of the event previously - we are now on the mailing list and hope to attend one of these days - they look fabulous!

janice15 said...

So amazing, looks like a ton of fun and excitment.. a beautiful long table. I loved the visit at the farm.. Such a great time it seems.. with love Janice

Debby said...

what a beautiful place. Trying to figure out where this is in Ohio. Such a wonderful fun idea. You look amazing.

Carmen said...

I can't think of anything more fun than this! It looks like a delightful, delicious, relaxing experience. You also look beautiful in the pictures. I'd love to do this.
~Carmen~

Patty Sumner said...

What fun Vicki... I have heard about these and saw a special on them but have not had the privilege of taking part in one.. Looks like something I need to add to my bucket list.. Cant wait to hear about the Girls trip! Have a great weekend.. Blessings!

Marlynne said...

I have heard of these Farm Dinners before! Your experience makes them look like an exciting adventure! May have to try taking part in one if I hear of one around here!

Astri said...

You and the gardener look so happy! What a wonderful memorable event. Love the plate idea!

Shirley said...

Such a wonderful place to enjoy the outdoors. I love the bus and would love to take a ride on it. I bet you and Marsha will have a wonderful trip. You do such an awesome job taking pictures and I truly love seeing them. Have a great day. Take care. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Jenny said...

Everything about it is special. Even you and your gardener! xo Jenny

Joyful said...

What a lovely event and beautiful photos too. xx

Maureen said...

Wow, Vicki, what a cool experience! Looks like a wonderful time was had by all. Love all the rustic photos and the kitty cat!

Sue Kosec said...

WOW - just plain ole WOW ... you're so fortunate. Everything looks beautiful and delicious.
SuZeQ

Julia said...

Hi Vicki, how wonderful that you attend these dinners. I can only imaging the experience of eating at this long table.

You look outstanding in the field too.

I first read about Outstanding In The Field in a magazine while at the doctor's office last year. I read up on Google about them and looked at the images of the different places they travel to put these spectacular dinners. All I can say is WOW.

Thanks for sharing your fun adventures.
Hugs,
JB

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

Oh, how wonderful - thank you so much for sharing all your lovely photos of this event! I keep thinking about the OITF event right near me at Orr's Farm, and here you are about to travel 500 miles and I have one practically in my backyard but won't be going. Well, have fun and try to not to take a year to post photos! We're anxious to see! LOL!

Lululiz said...

What an amazing experience! Your photos always make me want to up sticks and join you! I adore the idea of these farm dinners, and the menu looked totally delicious.

gigi knits said...

That must be the best way to meet new & old friends. What a great way to have dinner. But Dear Vickie LOVE the handbag & boots!!!!! Where did you find them..
xoxo

Unknown said...

Don't you just love those dinners? My daughter and her husband are organic farmers and have one each year at their home/farm to raise money for the local community farm programs and other things. They do it in April before market season starts and it isn't quite as big as the one you showed - probably about 60 people. But it's fabulous and chefs from some of the best downtown Atlanta restaurants do the cooking, my daughter and her husband provide the foraged and grown vegetables, and they also have a mixologist who makes some of the most fabulous cocktails for each course which include herbs and other things. There is just something about eating local fresh food outdoors that makes it magical!

Helen"s Hope said...

Totally awesome.

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed your post Vicki. I had read about this and also saw something about it on tv-thought it was an amazing idea-enjoy your fall trip-Kathy

yaya said...

Wonderful pix! I love the walking tour of the farm. This looks like a ton of fun and a great way to spend an October day! Enjoy Michigan...beautiful state!

Terry said...

What a fantastic thing to do! My husband and I would love to do that. I will have to check into if they have any around here.

I must tell you! The other day I found a gorgeous, downy soft, tiny bird feather on my deck. I picked it up and thought, "What can I do with this beautiful feather." Then it came to me. Yep! I put it in my gorgeous nest.

Love,
Terry

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow! That looks like it would be so much fun. I've never heard of this sort of thing before - don't think they do it here in Canada.

Beth said...

What a great place, and a fun meal! Awesome!
I want to thank you for your weight loss post - you got me motivated and back on track. Thank you. :)

Mereknits said...

What a fabulous experience, i cna only imagine how beautiful it was and what a special treat it was for you and the Gardener. I know you are going to have a wonderful time in Michigan.
Hugs,
Meredith

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a fantastic table! Taking your own plate, what a great idea. Such planning that must go into such an event, not only the food but the farm preparation as well. I can't imagine getting my yard prepared for such an event much less a farm!
Have fun on your next adventure!!!
xo,
Deb

Dorthe said...

It must be an unforgettable evening, being a part of this, my dear Vicki.
Everything looks beautiful, and all the yummy and delicious food, and wine to taste , while sitting in Gods nature looks so special an event for me.
Thank you for all your amazing photoes from your special day, I wish you a wonderful weekend, my dear friend.
Hugs from Dorthe

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh goodness that looks like so much fun! Thank you so much for taking us along on your wonderful adventure!

Blessings always sweet friend. :)

Julie said...

Oh my, what a lot of dinner guests. I hope you didn't volunteer to do the dishes!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Vicki, thanks for this update; I've always enjoyed your Oustanding posts. It looks incredible, perhaps one of these days I'll be close enough to go.

Mr Paul said...

I would love for this to take off over here Vicki, what fun! Did you get me a doggie bag?

ricketyjo said...

That looks like absolutely fantastic fun! Thanks for sharing such fun photos!

Lyn Warner said...

Your photos made my day. What a wonderful experience to have.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, what an amazing experience! Such gorgeous food and photos! xo Jen

Tanna said...

oh. oh. oh. I wish I could join you and Marsha at that table!! I remember seeing this before on your blog and it STILL captures my attention and makes me want to go! Y'all have such a good time!! blessings ~ tanna

Connie said...

What an incredibly marvelous event. So pure country . . . I love it :)
Thanks for sharing.
Connie :)

Createology said...

Beautiful setting. Beautiful photos. Delicious Food. Delightful people. Amazing Vintage Bus! I can see why you enjoy these OITF dinners so very much. Safe Travels This Year...

Esme said...

Sigh!!!, One year I will go to one. The photos look incredible. It is an evening to remember.

Eugenia Maru http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com said...

¡Linda mesa! tan larga y tan armoniosa.
Esa cena debe haber sido todo un lujo.
Linda la granja y el bus antiguo. Todo muy encantador.
Saludos

Tanya said...

See what I miss going on my own vacations?! How INCREDIBLE was THIS!!!!! I want to be you in my next life, friend! :-) XOXO

Quinn said...

I have read about these dinners, but have never been to one, nor heard from anyone who has...til now! Gorgeous pictures of the farm and the dinner. I can see why you will be travelling to attend another :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That is one very long table! How many people are able to attend? No doubt it is an awesome evening. South Haven isn't far from where my aunt and cousins are in Grand Haven, MI. Have a great week. Tammy

lynet said...

Hi Vicki, the Farm is a Dream!! .... beautiful place!I want to go Farm Dinner is a exciting adventure.