Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Traveling Gaspese (Part 4)--- Baie-Saint-Paul

Situated on the northern shore of the Saint Lawrence river, the quaint little city of Baie-Saint-Paul is known for it's thriving artist community.   This tiny little town is also famous as the home of the  internationally renowned Cirque du Soleil, where the first production was held in the early 1980's~ 

 Baie-Saint-Paul is one of Quebec's oldest cities
and is famous for the charming boutiques
and art galleries that line the streets~

just over an hour's drive from
Quebec City--
visiting this quaint little town
can easily be done as a day trip
while you are in the area~

this little town loves to
"dress UP"
 and goes all out to decorate
the shop displays, streets, and homes
within the city~


This small town has over 30 galleries and studios,
 along with historic houses
 converted into attractive restaurants and shops.
 With its prosperous, holiday atmosphere 
and its location among wood-covered hills 
 Baie-Saint-Paul is one of Quebec's
 most appealing towns~

Come along with the Gardener and me
 as we stroll along the narrow streets
lined with quaint boutiques and art galleries~






 the whole town is in
"cute" overload!
I think I took photos of almost
every storefront in this town!

we visited last fall,
and the entire city was
decked out in beautiful autumn displays~



 seriously,
how cute is this little woolen store?

 the city was filled with
beautiful blooming bushes and flowers~

 the city is famous for it's 
annual artist festival
that is held every 
Autumn
~
one of our first trips to the city,
(a few years ago)
was during the annual art festival.  
every street was filled with artists
and their displays...
the city was a wonderland of color 
and artistic impressions.. 



around every corner
is a pretty little painted
mural~

no shortage of "green thumbs"
in this city,...
the blooms were amazing!

one of my favorite photos
taken as we strolled around town~

some of the "century" old homes
in the city,
have been converted into
art galleries~





one of my favorite shops..
I fell in love with the garden display
(it was a tad bit cool that day!) 






 

 in the early 1920's,
a group of Canadian artists
known as the 
"Group of Seven"
lived in this tiny little cottage 
within the city~


the "Group of Seven"
 is best known for its paintings
 inspired by the Canadian landscape..
 their continued residence in
Baie-Saint-Paul
helped to establish this town's reputation
 as an artist community~

  this cottage,
now turned "art gallery"
houses some original works of art
from the "Group of Seven" artists
and contains original furnishings
dating back to the period 1920's
when the artists were in residence~

a beautiful mural is in process
at the flood wall on the 
outside of town~


situated on the highest ground within the city
stands the beautiful
Place de l'Église
church 

the banks of the
Saint Lawrence river~

 on our way back to
Quebec City,
we followed curvy country roads
in search of this historic
 covered bridge~

 and ....
we ended our wonderful day
like this~

~~~ In my next travel post, we are seriously on the road as we begin to make the circle around the Gaspe Penninsula.... thank you for traveling with us on this amazing adventure. We travel past ancient churches, picturesque settings on the bank of the Saint Lawrence ,and our very first hotel outside of Quebec City.  Wait till you see the incredible scenery just outside our hotel door!
We will meet all types of weather, days in the 80's, days in the 20's, and everything in between!  We will have calm days, and days with gale force winds,... if you are packing to travel along with us you will need to prepare for all the situations! 

~~We have beautiful blooms in our yard and 4 baby kittens roaming around on our back sundeck --- both are sure signs that Spring has finally come to our little corner of the world!

While I am working on the next set of travel pictures, I have one more nesting post I wish to share with you--- next up will be some photos from this seasons beautiful Shabby Treasure nests.  I made 6 of these special nests and sent them off to new homes. I'll share one of the personal stories relating to this "commission" only nest  and some photos in my next post~

Love,love,
Vicki
  

21 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Oh my what a beautiful place. This is one place I would love to visit someday.

Joyful said...

This is a very beautiful town. I love quaint, cosy storefronts and places filled to the brim with handcrafts, crafting items and art. Wow! What a beautiful place. xx

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

I am in awe of this lovely place! "Cuteness overload" indeed! The flowers - art - architecture ALL a joy to behold. I hope I get to travel there some day. I can't wait for your next post, esp. about the very special nests!

Julia said...

Thanks so much Vicki, I'm learning more about my own country as I travel with you from the comfort of my own chair. The place looks amazing.

I'm hoping to hear about Josephine and her children soon and I hope the gifts will arrive there soon without complications. For the children it must seem a life time of waiting...

Hugs,
JB


Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Oh my, what a beautiful place to visit. They even dress up the gardening barrel.

Eugenia Maru http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com said...

Very nice ride and nice pictures.
Yes, I can do many things, but not as cute as you shuffleboard, nor do those wonderful nests dear Vicki.
kisses

Anonymous said...

I adore this little town!!!!!

Sue Kosec said...

Thank you so much for taking me along with you. You're right - they sure like to play dress-up! The photos are fabulous ... again.

Thanks, Vicki!
xo
SuZeQ

Lorraine said...

Just wanted you to know how much my husband and I are enjoying your travel posts! Have a feeling this will be an upcoming trip. When are you going to share where you stayed? Hugs, Lorraine

Anne's Attic - Design said...

What a beautiful sweet town Vicki, I really love the feel of a small town with amazing shops. Have a nice day. Jo

lynn cockrell said...

Vicki, your photos are always gorgeous and those in this post are fabulous.Thanks for sharing this wonderful town with your readers!

Dorthe said...

What an idyllic and beautiful place, dear Vicki. So vibrant and looking so cozy, with wonderful flowers, and the architecture ,shops and nature.
You must have had a fantastic time together, there !
Hugs, Dorthe

Seawashed said...

What a beautiful place. To be able to see so much art in one place. The gardens everywhere really caught my eye. For some reason it reminds me a bit of Carmel, Ca. I have not been there in so many years. I really need to go again.

A friend that I met on Instagram recently purchased one of your shabby chic nests after seeing mine!

xxo Kerrie

kathyinozarks said...

what an awesome city-I would have loved it-always enjoy your photos-feel like was there with you
Kathy

Craftymoose Crafts said...

What a charming, charming city. I was amazed at all the large blooming flowers! You are not only a talented artist, but a talented photographer as well. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Tanya said...

I ADORE travelling through your eyes...and what eyes you have for beauty! These photos are ALL simply gorgeous...I know I will look them over again and again - the art studios are wonderous! Happy Thursday to you and your Gardener! XOXO

Barb said...

What a cozy, charming town! I like all the colors, blooms, and architecture. That burlap around the plant barrel has given me an idea for my own containers! Visiting you from Ron's blog. Happy day.

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello,

Beautiful photos, exotic place.

Best wishes

Summer said...

WOW what a lovely day and beautiful photos, stunning place to visit. beautiful artwork everywhere! Thank you for sharing a great day out with us.

Suzan said...

A lovely day for you both in this Artist Village!! It would take me forever to "see it all"!!
Another place on my Travel List!!!

Gracie Saylor said...

Artists, flowers, family, houses of faith...sigh...thanks for letting me enjoy some of your travels, Vicki! xx